March 11, 2019
Easy Ways To Improve Your Website Rankings
There are many ways to improve website ranking results on the search engines. When you clean up the coding om your website to make it as effective as possible, your rankings will benefit. In the end, better navigation, content, and search functionality creates a better user experience, and that translates into higher rankings.
There are any number of ways you can raise your online profile and increase traffic to your website:
Social Media Usage. Promote your site and products and services on social media. Simply posting “likes” or links to your site is not advertising – it is spam. Good content is what provides the basis for both a good user experience, “UX”, and for helping the search engines understand what your products and services are. Adding your important keywords in the title and body of the content helps the search engines. Personalizing the content by using location, popular trends, or other attention grabbing subject matter, makes your content more effective; and, it allows your visitors and readers to see that you are interested in them and topics that are of primary interest to them, i.e., “selling” your products and services should not be the primary objective of your content, the selling is a byproduct of engaging your audience.
- Using online marketing, such as Google Ads or Bing, can support and enhance your SEO strategies. Often, the gains you make in organic search optimization may take awhile, three months or longer. However, pay-per-click (PPC), regardless of which service you use, can bring more immediate results in terms of traffic to your website (we often find Google “recognizes” your keywords faster when an active PPC campaign is deployed. If your PPC click cost is low enough, these campaigns can be highly effective. Do the math. If you pay $1 a click and can convert 5% of those visitors into customers, your acquisition cost would be $20 per sale. (Part and parcel of an effective PPC campaign is the use of an effective landing page(s). We have demonstrated doubling and tripling conversations by using effective landing pages. What constitutes an effective landing page and how to create them is a separate subject.)
- Use Videos. Videos can be very effective, especially if run on the YouTube channel, which Google owns. Do not fail to: i) tag the videos with your keywords; and, ii) create a video sitemap with videos. By taking these steps, you can enhance the SEO on a website. Just like for other content, use videos as a way to introduce your staff, perform product demonstrations, etc., i.e., “inform” your audience, not hard-sell your products and services. (You will see your or five times more viewers watch your video if the video addresses their interests, not selling your products.) Posting the videos in your YouTube channel and putting the snippet of code YouTube provides on your website allows visitors to view the video on your website while using YouTube’s bandwidth to show the video on your own website; the best of all worlds. How hard is it make videos? Not hard at all. Many manufacturers will give you or let you use their videos (it’s important that you are able to post on your YouTube channel, have ownership of the video and can properly tag it. There are sites that will let you download their videos: Archive.org, Pixaby.com, etc. come to mind. You can also make a quick video using PowerPoint or other software. Putting together a couple of slides and doing a voice-over is easy. Once the videos are posted, the customers will follow; and, the search engines will pick them up for ranking. Flash is no longer a viable option. Search engines can’t read it, and most browsers don’t support it any more. Include full transcripts for your videos that you post. These transcripts not only help the visually and audio impaired, they also allow the search engines to more fully index and interpret what the video is about.
- Website Meta/HTML Tags. Tagging your website can’t be overemphasized: title tags, meta descriptions, image tags, and h1 tags all help the search engines. (The meta description is what the search engines will use in the search results, so it is your best opportunity to get a searcher to click-through to your site when your entry appears in the search results.)
- Sitemap. Create a sitemap and submit it to the search engines (not just Google, there are hundreds of search engines that get searches).
- Focus on Keywords. Keywords make the engine go, so any content you post should include and emphasize the important keywords for your business. Keep in mind the three rules for using keywords: i) they should appear in the title; ii) they should be included in the first paragraph of any content; and, iii) they should relate to the content and flow naturally while at the same time they should not overwhelm the content. “Keyword stuffing” is so passé. If you follow the points outlined in this article, you will definitely see improved rankings.
Consult with us to get a complete analysis and get even more ideas on how to improve your rankings.